The cool, creamy taste of sour cream is something many people miss when going dairy free. But don’t worry, I have several super easy dairy free sour cream recipes that will satisfy the fiercest of cravings and will make your meal complete.
To make sour cream you basically just start with a creamy, non-dairy neutral base then add some lemon juice to give it the classic “sour” taste. I have 3 bases that I typically use: cashews, coconut cream, or plain non-dairy Greek yogurt. Let’s examine the pro’s and con’s of each one.
using as a dip or topping
The most neutral, smooth tasting sour cream bases that are best used as a dip or topping are the cashews and coconut cream. When used as a dip, these are my 2 favorites. When trying to decide which one to use, I actually prefer the cashew version. However, it’s more work, if you don’t have a high-powered blender it can turn out chunky, and it’s made from nuts which many people have allergies to. For those reasons I usually make the coconut cream version – but it’s up to you!
When baking it’s a whole different story! I’ve never had much success using the cashew version of sour cream in baking. When baking, I prefer to use the non-dairy Greek yogurt because it has a perfect, thick consistency. It also adds a nice taste to baked goods. Coconut cream can be a good option when baking, but I’ve found that the consistency varies too much – which can sometimes produce poor results. I’ve tried plain non-dairy yogurt, but it was too runny (at least the brands I tried) so I would stick to the Greek Style yogurts 🙂
When cooking my method of choice is the coconut cream version because it’s super easy and tastes just like sour cream in recipes. The cashew version works well in cooking also, but it’s more labor intensive so I usually stick to the coconut cream 🙂
cashew sour cream:
I didn’t post the cashew version below because I always use the Cashew Sour Cream from My Whole Food Life and I can’t do any better than her recipe – but the coconut cream and non-dairy Greek yogurt versions are below. I hope you enjoy them and let me know what you think!!
Easy Peasy Dairy Free Sour Cream
Non-Dairy Yogurt Sour Cream Ingredients:
- 6 oz. SO Delicious Dairy Free Plain Yogurt Greek Style
- 3/4 Tsp. Lemon Juice more to taste (fresh is best!)
Coconut Cream Sour Cream Ingredients:
- 1/2 C Coconut Cream place full fat canned coconut milk into the fridge for 6 hours to overnight and scoop out the coagulated cream. I only recommend Thai Kitchen or Sprouts brand as others may result in a funny aftertaste or off texture
- 1 1/2 tsp. Lemon Juice
- Pinch salt
- Filtered water
Non-Dairy Yogurt Sour Cream Method:
- Drain off any excess liquid from the yogurt.
- Stir the yogurt and lemon juice together in a small container.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes (preferably longer) before using.
Cashew Cream Sour Cream Method:
- Gently Combine the coconut cream and lemon juice. If the cream is too thick or hard to combine, add filtered water as needed to achieve the right consistency. Taste and add more lemon juice if needed. Stir in the pinch of salt. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
Nutritional information is approximate and may vary.
pin for later: