**If you would like to follow me and get updates on Facebook please ‘like’ my NEW Facebook page, hover over the ‘Like’ button, and click ‘Get Notifications.’ I will be discontinuing my old Facebook page at the end of April. Thank you!**
Every few weeks while I am making dinner I get a wild hair and attempt to make a yeast free version of my Grain Free Dinner Rolls. At first I thought it would be easy, but after several months and about 5 attempts and not even coming close I had had pretty much given up. I didn’t realize how much yeast does – it is so much more than a rising agent! It not only helps the bread to rise but effects the taste and creates the bread-like, pull-apart texture that I love so much!
This week while I was making dinner I noticed the gelatin I had set out on my counter to give my son (a whole separate topic, see this video from the Spunky Coconut) and I had the random idea to replace the yeast with gelatin and IT WORKED, I absolutely can’t believe it!!!! I did make a few other minor changes and I’m not saying that gelatin is a 1:1 substitute for yeast, but I was really impressed with how it effected the texture of my rolls. They held together nicely, had a great flavor, and while it had a very slight biscuit-type texture, the texture was awesome and it is the closest thing to a yeast-raised dinner roll that I have yet tasted! I can’t wait to try gelatin in some of my other bread recipes!
I also like this recipe because it’s easy. I can have these babies in the oven in 10 or 15 minutes and they are the perfect addition to any dinner 🙂 Here are the easy steps:
Start by whisking together all of the dry ingredients… almond flour, arrowroot, baking powder, salt, and coconut palm sugar.
Then, heat up 1/4 C of water either in the microwave or on the stove until it’s hot but not boiling, I heated mine 1 minute in the microwave. Then, stir in the gelatin and whisk with a fork until dissolved. Do not allow to set too long.
Stir in the egg, oil, water, then the gelatin mixture until well combined
Form the dough into rolls and place on a greased pie pan. Then, brush the tops with allowed dairy free butter or oil.
Then, bake them at 350 degrees for 13 – 15 minutes, or until golden brown and allow to cool slightly before serving. That’s it!!!
Here are the details and the easy printable 🙂
- ¼ C + 1 Tbsp. Water, Divided
- 2½ tsp. Gelatin
- 1 C + 2 Tbsp. Blanched Almond Flour, Honeyville Brand
- ½ C Arrowroot Flour (Tapioca would *probably* work)
- ½ tsp. Sea Salt
- 1½ tsp. Grain Free Baking Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Coconut Palm Sugar or Preferred Granulated Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 3 Tbsp. Allowed Butter or Oil, Liquified + More For Brushing (I used olive oil)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together the almond flour, arrowroot, salt, baking powder, salt, and coconut palm sugar until well combined.
- Heat ¼ C of water, either on the stove or in the microwave, until hot but not boiling. I heated mine 1 minute in the microwave.
- Stir in the gelatin and whisk with a fork until dissolved. Do not allow to set too long.
- Add the egg, allowed oil or butter, and the gelatin mixture and mix. Batter will be thick so add in the extra Tbsp. of water if needed and mix well (I used my hands).
- Using wet or greased hands, roll the batter into small rolls and place in a greased pie pan not touching.
- Brush the tops with additional butter or oil.
- Bake for 13 - 15 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
- degrees. 13-15 minutes.
this post is part of Fat Tuesday, Allergy Free Wednesdays, Gluten Free Fridays, and Gluten Free Wednesdays