For several years now I’ve been trying to come up with a Paleo dump cake, but it has never turned out. If you’re not familiar with dump cake, it’s awesome! It’s a layer of pie filling, topped with dry yellow cake mix, and then dotted with as much butter as you can fit on top. O. My. Goodness.
While I haven’t been able to replicate the exact taste and texture of the yellow cake mix with butter, I think you will like this recipe just as much!. The filling closely resembles a pie or cobbler and the topping is reminiscent of a classic oat crisp. I can already tell that I will be posting a lot more of this same recipe but with different fruit fillings 🙂
To get started, you add the pecans to a food processor and process until it resembles sand, this is what gives it the crispy, oat-like topping 🙂
Then, add the remaining topping ingredients to the food processor and process until it comes together, set it aside. (sorry for the bad pictures!…)
Then for the filling, just place all of the berries into a greased 8×8 inch baking pan and stir in all the filling ingredients, this cuts out the need to wash an extra bowl 🙂
To finish it off just sprinkle the crumble topping over the berries then bake for 25 – 35 minutes or until the filling is bubbly and the topping has nicely browned. If you want to make it extra special, serve it with dairy free vanilla ice cream or coconut whipped cream – YUM!!!
Pin for later:
Here are the details:
*If you are looking for more fruit desserts, I think you’ll also like my Blackberry Cobbler and Fresh Strawberry Pie!
- 4 Heaping Cups Fresh Berries of Choice, make sure they are not tart (I used 1 C blueberries, 1 C blackberries, and 2 C sliced strawberries... pears would work good too!)
- 3 Tbsp. Honey
- 1 Tbsp. Arrowroot Flour
- ½ tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice (about 1 lemon)
- ½ C Blanched Almond Flour
- 1 C Whole Raw Pecans
- 1½ tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Refined Coconut Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Honey
- 1 tsp. Coconut Palm Sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease an 8 x 8 inch baking dish and set aside.
- Place the pecans in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the 'S' bade and process until it resembles sand.
- Add the remaining topping ingredients and process until it comes together, set aside.
- Place the berries into the greased pan then stir in all the remaining filling ingredients.
- Evenly crumble the topping over the berries and sprinkle the top with coconut palm sugar if desired.
- Bake 25 - 35 minutes or until the filling is bubbly and the top is nicely browned (my oven seems to be extra hot that's why I have such a large baking window).
this post is part of Gluten Free Wednesdays, Fat Tuesdays, Gluten Free Fridays, and Naturally Sweet Tuesday, Allergy Free Wednesdays