This Low-Carb & Paleo Beef & Broccoli recipe has fresh crisp-tender broccoli, perfectly cooked steak, and a rich and flavorful sauce.
Low-Carb And Paleo Beef And Broccoli
This is a super tasty Beef and Broccoli Take-Out Fake-Out recipe that can be on the table in no time! It’s quick, easy, healthy, and extremely flavorful – exactly what I look for on a busy weeknight.
Some beef and broccoli recipes are totally bland and soggy, but this recipe is made with fresh crisp-tender broccoli, marinated and perfectly cooked flank steak, and an extremely flavorful sauce.
Also, we like our beef and broccoli with a hint of sweet – that’s just how we roll- but if you prefer, you can certainly leave out the added sweetener.
Start with flank steak cut against the grain into 1/4-inch bite-sized strips. I’ve tried other cuts of meat and didn’t like the results, so I only recommend flank steak for this recipe.
Then, place the steak in a large bowl and stir in some coconut aminos (or gluten-free soy sauce) and rice vinegar. Allow to marinate for at least 10 minutes or up to an hour.
For the sauce:
Mix together water, fish sauce, coconut aminos, rice vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, pepper, sherry cooking wine, sweetener (if using), garlic powder, and arrowroot or tapioca flour to thicken the sauce.
The fish sauce and sherry cooking wine add a lot of depth of flavor so I don’t recommend omitting them. Fish sauce can be found on the International aisle of most grocery stores and sherry cooking wine can be found with the vinegar.
For the broccoli:
Fill a large pot halfway with water and bring to a boil.
Then, add the broccoli and boil until desired tenderness, 2- 5 minutes. Set aside.
For the beef:
Add some oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Once heated, add the beef in a single layer.
Do not overcrowd the pan, cook in batches if needed. If the pan seems burned between batches, rinse it out and heat up more oil before the next batch.
Cook the beef until nicely browned, then flip over and cook just until cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Drain off excess liquid while cooking if needed.
Set the beef aside.
Finishing up the Beef And Broccoli Recipe:
Add some minced garlic to the skillet and cook until fragrant, around 30 seconds. Be careful not to burn it!
Then, add the beef, broccoli, and sauce to the skillet. Stir until sauce comes to a simmer and thickens.
Garnish with sesame seeds and serve with rice or cauliflower rice. Enjoy!
Expert Tips For Perfect Paleo Beef And Broccoli
- I’ve tried this beef and broccoli recipe with many other cuts of meat and didn’t like the results. I recommend only using Flank Steak for this recipe.
- If you’re not Paleo and eat soy, feel free to use gluten-free soy sauce instead of Coconut Aminos.
- The fish sauce and sherry cooking wine add a lot of depth of flavor so I don’t recommend omitting them. Fish sauce can be found on the International aisle of most grocery stores and sherry cooking wine can be found with the vinegar.
If you’ve tried this Low-Carb & Paleo Beef and Broccoli or any other recipe on the blog please let me know in the comments below!
Craving more? FOLLOW ME on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, or E-Mail to see more delicious food and find out what I’ve been up to! And as a bonus, if you sign up to follow me by E-Mail you’ll receive 2 FREE recipes from my Keto Breads Cookbook!
Low-Carb & Paleo Beef And Broccoli
- 1 1/2 - 2 Lb. Flank Steak cut into 1/4-inch bite-sized strips against the grain
- 2 Tbsp. Rice Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Coconut Aminos or gluten-free soy sauce if not Paleo
- 6-7 Cups Chopped Broccoli Florets about 2 medium-sized heads of broccoli
- 5 Cloves Garlic peeled and minced
- 1 Tbsp. Coconut Oil + 2 tsp. if needed or preferred oil
- Sesame Seeds for garnish
- 3/4 C Filtered Water
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Fish Sauce
- 3 Tbsp. Coconut Aminos or gluten-free soy sauce if not Paleo
- 1 Tbsp. Rice Vinegar
- 1 tsp. Sesame Oil
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Ginger
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Sherry Cooking Wine
- 2 Tbsp. Swerve Sweetener or preferred granulated sweetener or coconut palm sugar for Paleo
- 1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Arrowroot or Tapioca Flour
- Place meat in a large bowl along with rice vinegar and coconut aminos. Toss to combine. Allow to marinate for 10 minutes or up to one hour.
- Meanwhile, fill a large pot halfway full of water, bring to boil. Add the broccoli florets and boil 2 - 3 minutes, or until desired tenderness. Drain and set aside.
- Prepare the sauce: Whisk all sauce ingredients together until combined in a large bowl and set aside.
- Once steak has finished marinating, melt 1 Tbsp coconut oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add meat in a single layer. Do not overcrowd the pan, cook in batches if needed. Cook until bottom is browned, then flip over and cook until just cooked through, about 3 or 4 minutes, draining off excess liquid if needed. Set meat aside. Note- If your pan is burned on the bottom, rinse it out with room temperature water and scrub out all the burned pieces. You don't want your dish to taste burned! Then, heat up more oil before the next batch.
- Add the garlic to the skillet and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Be careful not to burn it!
- Add the sauce, broccoli, and meat. Stir to combine.
- Continue stirring for 1-2 more minutes, or until sauce comes to a simmer and thickens.
- Remove from heat. Garnish with sesame seeds and serve over rice or cauliflower rice.
- I've tried this recipe with many other cuts of meat and didn't like the results. I recommend only using Flank Steak for this recipe.
- If you're not Paleo and eat soy, feel free to use gluten-free soy sauce instead of Coconut Aminos.
- The fish sauce and sherry cooking wine add a lot of depth of flavor so I don't recommend omitting them. Fish sauce can be found on the International aisle of most grocery stores and sherry cooking wine can be found with the vinegar.
Nutritional information is approximate and may vary.