This Gluten Free, Paleo, And Keto Flourless Chocolate Cake With A Silky Keto And Vegan Chocolate Ganache Glaze is a chocolate lovers dream! It’s intensely rich, decadent, chocolate-y, and is the perfect dessert for any celebration.
If you love yourself some chocolate, this is your dream cake! This Paleo And Keto Flourless Chocolate Cake is super rich, chocolate-y, and decadent with a texture that melts in your mouth. It’s naturally gluten free and made Keto or Paleo depending on the sugar and chocolate chips you choose. It’s then topped with a silky chocolate ganache that’s easily made dairy free and vegan by subbing the heavy cream for coconut cream – with no coconut taste detected! Oh, and I almost forgot the best part, it’s crazy easy to make! Here are the easy steps…
How To Make A Paleo And Keto Flourless Chocolate Cake
Start by putting 6 eggs in a bowl of warm water to bring them to room temperature. While this step won’t make or break the recipe, cold eggs tend to cool down and solidify the butter making the already thick batter even thicker and hard to stir.
In a large pot, add 1 Cup (or 2 sticks) of butter that has been cut into chunks and 8 oz. of chocolate chips. Depending on the size of your chocolate chips and how you measure, this will be around 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 Cups of chocolate chips. Heat the mixture over low to medium-low heat until melted. Do not melt it too fast or it will ruin the chocolate so be patient. After everything is nice and melted, remove from heat and add 1 Cup of powdered sweetener.
The Chocolate Chips
I prefer to use Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chips (affiliate) because they are not only dairy free but soy free as well. Or if you shop at Target, they have an off-brand for only $3 a bag! For lower carbs, feel free to use Lily’s Dark Chocolate Chips (affiliate) or another low-carb brand.
I always use grass-fed butter because it is anti-inflammatory, has K-2 (which is good for clearing out the arteries!), healthy fats, and tastes so much better than conventional butter. Plus, many people who are sensitive to dairy tend to do fine with grass-fed butter. However, if you are dairy free, feel free to replace the butter with non-dairy butter or coconut oil. If using coconut oil, use refined coconut oil to reduce the coconut taste. I’d image ghee would work as well, but I have not tested this cake with ghee.
For the sweetener, I use either Powdered Swerve or Powdered Lakanto (affiliates) to make the cake Keto-friendly. Flourless chocolate cakes usually call for granulated sugar, but keto sweeteners need a little extra help dissolving so I prefer to use the powdered variety. For Paleo, you can use coconut palm sugar – it works just as good!
Then whisk the eggs and add them to the chocolate mixture, a little at a time, along with some cocoa powder, sea salt, and pure vanilla.
Mix until just combined, mixture will be thick and hard to stir.
Pour the batter into a well-greased 9 inch cake pan lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes, or until it’s just firm in the center.
Allow to slightly cool, then invert onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
How To Make Keto And Vegan Chocolate Ganache
For the ganache, place 1 cup of chocolate chips, pure vanilla, and some powdered sweetener (if desired) into a large bowl. For the chocolate chips, use Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chips (affiliate) if you are dairy and soy free. Use Lily’s (affiliate) or a similar brand for lower-carb.
Heat 1/2 cup of either coconut cream or heavy cream on the stove until it boils, then pour over the chocolate chips and stir. Cover the bowl and let it set undisturbed for 5 minutes.
Coconut Cream Or Heavy Cream
Traditionally chocolate ganache calls for heavy cream, but coconut cream can be substituted if you are vegan or dairy free. For coconut cream, place a can of full-fat canned coconut milk in the fridge for 24 hours. Then, scoop out the coagulated cream. I recommend Thai Kitchen, Sprouts, or Native Forest brands. Other brands may not separate as well or leave a funny aftertaste. These are 3 brands I know will work well for this recipe and leave no aftertaste or coconut flavor.
Remove the lid, and stir until the chocolate chips are creamy and smooth. If for some reason the chocolate didn’t melt all the way, microwave the mixture in 15 second increments until melted. Be sure to stir well between each increment!
Place the Keto Flourless Chocolate Cake on a cake plate or stand, then pour the warm ganache over the cake.
Serve the cake immediately, or place uncovered in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour to allow the ganache to harden and set up.
Serve with berries and a sprinkle of powdered sweetener. Store covered tightly in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Tips For Perfect Paleo And Keto Flourless Chocolate Cake With Ganache
- Line the pan with parchment paper. If you skip the parchment paper you will have trouble with the flourless cake sticking. To line with parchment paper: 1) Place the pan on a large sheet of parchment paper. 2) Trace the bottom of the pans with a pencil. 3) Cut the parchment paper using the lines you traced. 4) Grease the pan, place the parchment paper in the pan, then grease the parchment paper. This will ensure easy removal of the cake.
- Do not over bake. If you over bake the flourless chocolate cake, it will be dry instead of fudgy with a melt-in-your-mouth texture. The cake is done when the center is barely set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out slightly moist (but not drenched!). Keep in mind that it will continue to cook while cooling and will firm up a bit in the fridge.
- Cut the butter into pieces and melt chocolate over low heat. Don’t place 2 whole sticks of butter into the pot to be melted with the chocolate chips or they will take forever to melt! Chocolate is temperamental and needs to be melted over low to medium-low heat or it will ruin. If you don’t cut up the butter, you will be tempted to turn up the heat to get the butter to melt, which will ruin the chocolate and cause you to have to start over.
- For Paleo: To make this cake Paleo, use (affiliates) coconut palm sugar, Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips (or similar dairy and soy free chocolate chips) and coconut oil instead of butter.
- For Keto: For Keto, use Swerve or Lakanto (affiliates) powdered sweetener, Lily’s Dark Chocolate Chips (affiliate), and grass-fed butter. Keto sweeteners need a little help dissolving, which is why I use powdered sweetener for the Keto version.
Paleo And Keto Flourless Chocolate Cake With Ganache
Paleo And Keto Flourless Chocolate Cake:
- Oil Of Choice for greasing pan
- 8 oz Lily's Dark Chocolate Chips Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chips for soy free, or chocolate chips of choice (roughly 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cup of chocolate chips)
- 1 Cup Grass-Fed Butter or non-dairy butter or coconut oil
- 1 Cup Powdered Swerve Powdered Lakanto, or coconut palm sugar
- 6 Large Eggs slightly beaten
- 1 Cup Natural Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Pure Vanilla
Paleo And Keto Flourless Chocolate Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9 inch cake pan with parchment paper and grease with oil.
- Place the eggs in a bowl of warm water to bring to room temperature and set aside.
- In a large pot, add the chocolate chips and the butter cut into small cubes. Heat over low to medium-low heat until melted, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and stir in the powdered sweetener.
- In a medium-sized bowl, slightly whisk the eggs.
- Add the eggs, a little at a time, to the chocolate mixture. Then, stir in the cocoa powder, sea salt, and pure vanilla. Mix until just combined, batter will be thick.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 35 to 40 minutes or until just firm in the center and toothpick inserted into the center comes out slightly moist (not drenched!).
- Allow to slightly cool then invert onto a cooling rack to cool completely. Top with ganache. Serve immediately or place uncovered in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour to allow ganache to harden and set up. Store covered tightly in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
- Place the chocolate chips, vanilla, and sweetener (if using) into a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan, add the coconut cream or heavy cream and bring to a boil.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate chips and stir. Cover the bowl and leave undisturbed for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir until the chocolate is creamy and smooth. If for some reason the chocolate didn't melt all the way, heat in 15 second increments in the microwave, being sure to stir well between each increment.
Nutritional information is approximate and may vary.