I have a confession:
I love German Chocolate Cupcakes!!! What’s not to love about chocolate cupcakes topped with coconut pecan frosting?!? And if you’re really wanting to go all out, you can even pipe some chocolate frosting on the outside of the cupcakes then spoon the coconut pecan frosting in the middle! But I’m not nearly that energetic!
So far, I think these have been my family’s favorite cupcakes. They were gone in no time! Hope you like them as much as we did 🙂
–Be sure to plan ahead and make this several hours ahead of time or even the day before as it has to completely cool and thicken in the fridge.
- 1 C Coconut Cream (place full-fat coconut milk in fridge overnight and scoop out the coagulated cream)
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 C Honey or Agave Nectar
- 2 Tbsp. Arrowroot Flour (cornstarch would probably work too)
- 2 Tbsp. Cold Water
- 6 Tbsp. Earth Balance Butter (coconut oil may work too, might harden in fridge)
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1⅓ C Unsweetened Coconut
- 1 C Chopped Pecans (toasting optional)
- Toast pecans and set aside: Spread evenly on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 5 - 8 minutes or until fragrant. Check on them frequently so they don't burn! Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, mix together the arrowroot and water. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, mix together the coconut cream, egg yolks and honey. Turn heat on to medium and stir constantly until the coconut cream melts.
- Crank heat to high and bring to boil.
- Add the arrowroot mixture and stir until thickened, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and butter until the butter melts.
- Stir in the coconut and pecans.
- Transfer to a sealed container and place in the fridge until completely cooled and thickened, several hours to overnight.
- Frost cake as desired.
Here’s my picts 🙂