These babies are easy. And delicious. Plus, they are a high protein healthy little gluten free snack. Oh, and did I mention that they are chocolate??? Dark chocolate!?! Needless to say, we love these things! They are perfect to send in the kiddos lunch boxes or as a mid afternoon snack when that sugar craving hits 🙂
The original recipe is from Mel over at Mel’s Kitchen Cafe, I just made a few small changes to make them grain free and Paleo compliant 🙂
Here are the steps:
First, finely chop 1 C of raw cashews. I used a knife because I didn’t want to get my food processor out but next time I will definitely use my food processor! Not only do I think it took longer with a knife, but the food processor will chop them much finer which will work better in the recipe 🙂
Next, toast the coconut and cocoa nibs, if using. Cocoa nibs taste similar to cocoa powder – like unsweetened pieces of chocolate. While you can leave them out, they add a nice crunch and dark chocolate flavor.
Then, add the honey, coconut oil, cocoa powder, peanut butter, and chocolate chips to a saucepan and heat until it’s smooth and melted, SO YUMMY!!!!
Now add the vanilla to the sauce pan and pour it into a large mixing bowl with the cashews and toasted coconut and cocoa nibs.
Place tablespoon-sized mounds onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
Once they have cooled enough to handle, use your hands to roll into balls. As you can see, a few are missing 🙂 Then place them in the fridge for 1 or 2 hours to harden.
Here are all the details:
- 1 Cup Finely Chopped Cashews (for easier chopping in the food processor, soak for 30 minutes in warm water then drain and add to food processor)
- ⅛ tsp. Salt
- ¾ C Unsweetened, Shredded Coconut
- 2 Tbsp. Cocoa Nibs (optional)
- ¼ C Honey
- 2 Tbsp. Refined Coconut Oil
- ¼ C Creamy Peanut or Almond Butter
- ½ tsp. Pure Vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. Cocoa Powder
- ¼ C Enjoy Life Dairy Free Chocolate Chips
- Finely chop the cashews. I used a knife, but I highly recommend a food processor. If the pieces are too big, the bites will have trouble holding together.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cashews and salt.
- In a medium-sized skillet, toast the coconut and cocoa nibs (if using) over medium heat for approximately 5 minutes or until browned, stirring constantly to prevent burning. Add to the cashew mixture.
- In a medium saucepan add the honey, coconut oil, peanut or almond butter, and chocolate chips. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Pour over the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Using 2 spoons, spoon the mixture into tablespoon-sized mounds onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Using wet or greased hands, roll the mounds into balls and place in fridge for 1 or 2 hours to set up.These can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Allow to sit at room temperature for a minutes just before eating 🙂
this post is part of Fat Tuesday, Allergy Free Wednesdays, Gluten Free Wednesdays, and Gluten Free & DIY Tuesday