It’s been surprisingly warm here in Oklahoma, but last week we had a cold day so I made me and the kids some vegan and paleo hot chocolate after school. I forgot how much we love hot chocolate!
To make my hot chocolate extra creamy I add 1/2 cup full fat canned coconut milk, it makes it super thick and decedent! This is my basic hot chocolate recipe that I’ve been making for several years now, but here are a few variations if you want to make life more exciting:
Orange Hot Chocolate: Add some orange slices and 3 or 4 strips of orange rind to the milk before heating. Remove orange slices before serving. Garnish with orange rind.
Mint Hot Chocolate: Add a few drops of mint extract into each mug before serving.
Mexican Hot Chocolate: Add in 1/2 – 1 Tbsp. cinnamon and 1/4 tsp. chili powder to milk before heating. (Everyone likes different levels of heat, so adjust cinnamon and chili powder to taste)
pin for later:
*This would be great with Whipped Cream and homemade corn-free marshmallows with coconut sugar from Allergy Free Alaska!!!
- 1½ C Dairy Free Milk
- ½ C Full Fat Canned Coconut Milk, well shaken or stirred
- ½ C Dairy Free Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (I use the Enjoy life Brand)
- 1 Tsp. Honey or Maple Syrup, or to taste (optional)
- ¼ Tsp. Pure Vanilla
- Pour the non-dairy milk and coconut milk into a small saucepan. Warm over medium heat, then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Stir until melted and heated through (there may still be small particles of chocolate chips, I love that!).
- Serve with coconut whipped cream if desired.