It’s been surprisingly warm here in Oklahoma, but last week we had a cold day so I made me and the kids this Vegan and Paleo Hot Chocolate after school. I forgot how much we love hot chocolate!
To make my hot chocolate extra creamy I add 1/2 cup full fat canned coconut milk, it makes it super thick and decedent! When picking out coconut milk, I prefer Thai Kitchen, Sprouts, or Native Forest brands. Other brands may lend a funny aftertaste, but I know these brands are smooth and creamy without the aftertaste.
This is my basic hot chocolate recipe that I’ve been making for several years now, but here are a few variations if you want to make life more exciting:
- Orange Hot Chocolate: Add some orange slices and 3 or 4 strips of orange rind to the milk before heating. Remove orange slices before serving. Garnish with orange rind.
- Mint Hot Chocolate: Add a few drops of mint extract into each mug before serving.
- Mexican Hot Chocolate: Add in 1/2 – 1 Tbsp. cinnamon and 1/4 tsp. chili powder to milk before heating. (Everyone likes different levels of heat, so adjust cinnamon and chili powder to taste)
- Or serve plain with Whipped Cream and homemade corn-free marshmallows with coconut sugar from Allergy Free Alaska!!!
Vegan And Paleo Hot Chocolate
- 1 1/2 Cup Dairy Free Milk I use almond milk
- 1/2 Cup Full Fat Canned Coconut Milk* well shaken or stirred
- 1/2 Cup Dairy Free Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips I use the Enjoy life Brand
- 1 tsp. Honey or Maple Syrup or to taste (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. Pure Vanilla
- Coconut Whipped Cream optional
- Pour the non-dairy milk and coconut milk into a small saucepan. Warm over medium heat, then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Stir until melted and heated through (there may still be small particles of chocolate chips, I love that!).
- Serve with coconut whipped cream if desired.
Nutritional information is approximate and may vary.