After years of recipe testing this is the best paleo and keto meatloaf recipe ever! It’s wrapped in bacon, has a ketchup gravy and is gluten, nut, and egg free!!!
Paleo And Keto Meatloaf
Let me start by saying that my husband loves – and I mean loves- meatloaf! Everywhere we go he orders (and judges) a restaurant based on it’s meatloaf. I don’t know why he does this though, because everywhere we go he is disappointed in their meatloaf saying that it’s not as good as his grandma’s. When we were first married I used to make her recipe for him and it still wasn’t the same! Needless to say, perfecting an allergy friendly meatloaf that got his seal of approval wouldn’t be an easy task!
So I was really excited that, after years of recipe testing, my Paleo And Keto Meatloaf Recipe finally his seal got 2 thumbs up – YYAAYY!!!! If you think you don’t like meatloaf, give this one a try, you might be surprised.
Easy Bacon-Wrapped Gluten And Egg Free Meatloaf Steps
You start by making the “flax eggs”. Mix 4 Tbsp. of ground flax seeds with 6 Tbsp. of warm water and set it aside to thicken. Meanwhile, add the beef, nutritional yeast (gives it a cheesy flavor, similar to adding Parmesan cheese), coconut flour (don’t worry, there’s NO coconut taste!), applesauce (helps bind, doesn’t impart a taste), parsley, salt, seasoned salt, pepper, non-dairy milk, and flax eggs to a large mixing bowl.
If you’re not egg free, I recommend using all 4 eggs instead of 2 eggs with either “flax eggs” or applesauce. The applesauce and flax work in conjunction with one another and the meatloaf doesn’t hold together as well if you only use one.
Using clean hands, mix it up really well.
Then form the meat mixture into a loaf on a greased broiler pan so the fat from the bacon drains off. I like to line the bottom of the pan with foil for easy cleanup. Don’t make the loaf too tall or it will take forever to cook through, 2 to 2 1/2 inches tall is about right.
Now, lay the bacon slices over the top, tucking the edges under the meatloaf.
In a clean bowl, mix together 1 1/2 C of allergy friendly ketchup (Primal Kitchen and Tessamae’s -affiliate links- both work for Keto & Whole30), 1 Tbsp. of mustard, and 6 Tbsp of coconut palm sugar or Swerve for Keto. Then, spread 1/3 of the mixture of the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Add another 1/3 of the sauce over the meatloaf and bake an additional 20 – 25 minutes or until cooked through. Serve with the remaining sauce, DE-LISH!!!
Tips For Perfect Paleo And Keto Meatloaf
- The broiler pan is a must because the fat from the bacon needs to drain. If you don’t have a broiler pan, place a folded cooling rack on top of a baking sheet.
- Don’t make the meatloaf too tall or it will take forever to cook through. 2 to 2 1/2 inches is about right.
- If you’re not egg free, I recommend using all 4 eggs instead of 2 eggs with either “flax eggs” or applesauce. The applesauce and flax work in conjunction with one another so the meatloaf won’t hold together as well if you only use one or the other to replace 2 of the eggs.
*HERE is a homemade seasoned salt recipe.
Any links on this site may be affilate links. If you purchase anything through them, your cost will remain the same, but I may make a small comission. Thank you for your support!
- 2 Lb. Ground Beef
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Sea Salt
- 1/2 Tsp. Seasoned Salt see link above for homemade recipe
- Ground Pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp. Coconut Flour
- 3 Tbsp. Nutritional Yeast
- 1/4 C Flat-Leaf Parsley minced
- 1 Tbsp. Non-Dairy Milk
- 3 Tbsp. Ground Flax Seeds with 6 Tbsp. Hot Water or 2 eggs
- 1/2 C Unsweetened Applesauce or 2 eggs
- 8 - 10 Slices Nitrate Free Bacon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom part of a broiler pan with foil (for easy cleanup) and grease the top with coconut oil, set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ground flax seeds with the warm water, if using. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the ground beef, salt, seasoned salt, pepper, coconut flour, nutritional yeast, parsley, milk, and applesauce and flax mixture or 4 eggs.
- Using clean hands mix it all together.
- Form the meat mixture into a loaf on the greased broiler pan, making it about 2 to 2 1/2 inches tall so it doesn't take too long to cook through.
- Lay bacon slices over the top, tucking the ends under the meatloaf.
- In a clean bowl, mix together all of the sauce ingredients.
- Pour 1/3 of the sauce over the meatloaf and spread with a spoon.
- Bake 45 minutes.
- Then, spread another 1/3 of the remaining sauce over the meatloaf and cook an additional 20 - 25 minutes or until cooked though.
- Serve with remaining sauce.
Nutritional information is approximate and may vary.
Pin Whole30, Paleo, And Keto Meatloaf For Later