Paleo & Keto Chicken Salad
Chicken salad is the perfect thing to serve for lunch or bring to a picnic or get-together. It can be served plain, over lettuce, or on toasted gluten free bread. It can be made in only a matter of minutes and is a great make-ahead recipe!
What To Add To Chicken Salad
When I make chicken salads, I add toasted nuts for crunch and chopped red grapes for pops of sweetness. Depending on what you like though, there are many options. Here are a few other options and add-ins in place of the grapes and nuts:
- Hard Boiled Eggs & Dill Pickles
- Chopped Celery With Toasted Almonds & A Tbsp. Or Two Of Lemon Juice
- Various Dried or Fresh Fruit, such as raisins, cranberries, or apples instead of or in addition to the red grapes.
Tips For A Perfect Chicken Salad
- The recipe calls for walnuts, but you can use any nuts you prefer.
- For reduced carbs you can omit the grapes, however I highly recommend them! They add a nice burst of sweetness.
- Feel free to use a rotisserie chicken from the store if you’re looking to save time. Just be sure to remove the skin and shred the chicken.
- This recipe only takes a few minutes to mix together, but it really needs to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour so all the flavors can have time to combine.
- It can be eaten plain, over lettuce, with gluten free crackers (or Keto Crackers!), or served on gluten free bread.
- When making the version below with grapes and nuts, I always serve mine with balsamic vinegar or vinaigrette. It adds a tart sweetness and depth of flavor that just can’t be beat!
Looking for more Keto recipes? Check out Keto Cooking Christian’s Jalapeno Popper Egg Salad recipe!
Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat baking mat. Spread the chopped walnuts on the baking sheet and toast for 7 to 8 minutes, or until fragrant. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Chop the grapes and onion.
- Add the shredded chicken, Veganaise or homemade mayo (link above), grapes, onion, walnuts, salt, and pepper to a large mixing bowl and mix well. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- Cover and place in refrigerator at least 30 minutes, preferably an hour.
- Serve over toasted gluten free bread with balsamic vinegar or vinaigrette OR over lettuce with balsamic vinegar or balsamic vinaigrette.
- Chicken salad can be stored covered in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Do not leave at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
Nutritional information is approximate and may vary.