This perfect, simple keto meat sauce is gluten free, full of flavor, and a cinch to make. Serve over zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash to keep it Keto, Paleo and Whole30!
I’ve been trying to perfect a keto meat sauce with for what seems like years now. I’ve tried everything… cooking it in a crock pot, letting it simmering for hours, adding pork chops for flavor, and all kinds of crazy spice combinations. But in the end, I always come back to a basic homemade meat sauce with classic seasonings using an onion, bell pepper, bay leaf, garlic, and Italian spices. It’s a classic meat sauce recipe that’s full of flavor and a cinch to make.
Tomatoes are naturally high in carbs, so many people don’t consider spaghetti sauce to be Keto-friendly. But by making the sauce by scratch with no added sugars and eating it in moderation, spaghetti meat sauce can be incorporated into a Keto diet. As long as you don’t go crazy and eat the whole pot, lol! Here are the steps:
Easy Keto Meat Sauce Steps
Start by browning the beef over medium heat. Remove fat if desired and set aside.
Chop up a bell pepper and onion. Then, add it to the heated skillet that the meat was in and cook for 3 -5 minutes or until tender.
Add 3 cloves garlic and cook until fragrant, around 30 seconds. Add 1/3 cup beef broth and allow it to bubble for about a minute and a half. Then, add 28 oz of diced tomatoes, 2 Tbsp of tomato paste, and some oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, and a bay leaf.
Stir the beef into the sauce. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. For a thicker sauce, cover and simmer an additional 20 minutes.
Just before serving, stir in 2 tsp. of balsamic vinegar, dried parsley, basil, and remove the bay leaf. Serve over gluten free pasta or serve over spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles for Keto, Whole30, and Paleo.
Tips For Perfect Keto Spaghetti Sauce
- Tomatoes are naturally high in carbs, so many people don’t consider spaghetti sauce to be Keto-friendly. But by making the sauce by scratch with no added sugars and eating it in moderation, spaghetti meat sauce can be incorporated into a Keto diet.
- If you prefer a thicker sauce, you can simmer it an additional 20 minutes or until it’s the thickness you prefer.
- The balsamic vinegar is my secret ingredient that adds a depth of flavor and a tart-sweetness you don’t want to miss – so don’t skip it!
Keto Meat Sauce
Any links on this site may be affilate links. If you purchase anything through them, your cost will remain the same, but I may make a small comission. Thank you for your support!
- 1 Lb. Ground Beef
- 1/2 Onion Chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper Chopped
- 2 - 3 Tbsp. Avocado or Olive Oil
- 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1/3 C Beef Broth
- 28 oz. Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 1/4 tsp. Oregano
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp. Salt or to taste
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Pepper
- 2 tsp. Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 C Dried Parsley about 1/2 C is using fresh
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Basil finely chopped (or 1 Tbsp. dried)
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil over medium heat. Add the beef. Brown beef and set aside.
- Add additional oil if needed, then add onion and bell pepper and cook 3 - 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add garlic and cook about 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Stir in beef broth and allow to reduce for about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Then, stir in the tomato sauce, tomato paste, oregano, thyme, salt, bay leaf, and pepper.
- Add in the browned beef, cover and simmer 20 minutes. For a thicker sauce, stir and simmer another 20 minutes, covered.
- Remove the bay leaf, then stir in the parsley, balsamic vinegar, and basil.
- Serve over gluten free noodles, spaghetti squash, or zucchini noodles.
Nutritional information is approximate and may vary.
Pin For Later