These Paleo Cornbread Muffins taste amazingly like traditional cornbread and are sweet and almost cake-like! They’re great as a side or served as a dessert with coconut oil or butter and maple syrup.
Paleo Cornbread Muffins
Last week my sister-in-law Amanda made our family what I would consider the best cornbread I had ever eaten! She said it was her moms sweet cornbread recipe and she made it gluten free by replacing the cup of all purpose flour with almond flour and it turned out fantastic! It tasted like cornbread, but it was sweet and almost cake-like, I think that’s why we loved it so much 🙂
And while her recipe could in no way be improved to taste better, I did adjust it so it would be Paleo friendly while keeping the cornbread taste. To do this I replaced the cup of cornmeal with 1/4 C of coconut flour because coconut flour can taste surprisingly like cornmeal. Then, I added an egg, reduced the non-dairy milk by half, and replaced the 1/2 C of sugar with honey. …other than that I didn’t change anything, ~ha-ha~ 🙂
Tips for the perfect cornbread
- Tip when using coconut flour: When using coconut flour a basic rule of thumb is to replace 1 C of flour with 1/4 C of coconut flour, add an egg, and slightly increase the wet ingredients. Then, I refine the recipe from there.
- All coconut flours are not made the same! Some are much more absorbent than others. I recommend using Bob’s Red Mill or Arrowhead Mills because they are nice and absorbent. If you need to buy a different brand make sure the texture is soft and fluffy, not grainy – otherwise your muffins will turn out too wet.
- These are fairly sweet. If you like your cornbread more savory, you can reduce the honey to 2 Tbsp, but please don’t omit it.
- I’ve tried replacing the honey with erythritol to make these keto friendly, but unfortunately it didn’t work. If you’re looking for a keto cornbread, please check out my Coconut Flour Keto Cornbread or my Keto Breads E-book!
- These are great eaten as dessert with some butter (can use non-dairy) and pure maple syrup – YUM!
Looking for more Paleo Breads? Check these out!
and my new Keto Breads Cookbook!
Or if Keto is more your thing, you might be interested in my Keto Cornbread & Stuffing Recipe!!
Paleo Cornbread Muffins
Any links on this site may be affilate links. If you purchase anything through them, your cost will remain the same, but I may make a small comission. Thank you for your support!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with 9 baking cups.
- Whisk the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and sea salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs, honey, and milk to another bowl and mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well, then stir in the coconut oil (so it doesn't solidify)
- Evenly divide the batter between the baking cups.
- Bake 17 -19 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool completely to properly set up.
Nutritional information is approximate and may vary.
pin paleo cornbread muffins for later: