I love love love this apricot chicken! It’s easy to throw together and delicious!
For those of you who live in Oklahoma, this dish is inspired by The Interurban’s apricot chicken. The Interurban uses boneless skinless grilled chicken, but I like to use bone-in chicken and bake it in the oven because 1) it’s easier – you throw it in the oven and don’t have to babysit it, and 2) it turns out tender and juicy every time!
Then I dipped it in a sweet apricot glaze (I altered my sweet honey mustard recipe to be apricot) and served it with slivered almonds. Yes, I realize I forgot the almonds in my picture 🙁 But by the time I remembered the almonds we had already dug into our chicken!
- 6 Bone-In Chicken Thighs Or Drums
- ½ C Mayo (see link above) or Veganaisse for egg free
- ½ C Apricot Preserves
- 1½ Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
- ¼ Tsp. Onion Powder
- ½ Tsp. Braggs Liquid Aminos or Gluten Free Soy Sauce
- Almond Slices For Garnish, just pretend they are in my picture 🙂
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a broiler pan with cooking oil then place chicken on pan skin side up and roast for 40 minutes, or until cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, mix the veganaise, preserves, dijon mustard, onion powder, and soy sauce in a medium-sized bowl.
- With tongs, dip each chicken thigh or leg into the sauce, submerging completely.
- Place back onto pan. After all chicken is coated, return pan to oven for 5 minutes, or until hot and sizzling.
- Brush or dab on additional sauce before serving.