Buttery, garlicky, and with a splash of lemon and crispy almonds, this is the best skillet keto green bean recipe! They're a quick and delicious healthy side dish that only requires one skillet and a few basic pantry ingredients.
All you need to make this keto green bean recipe is just 25 minutes, one skillet, and a few simple pantry ingredients!
They are crisp-tender, full of flavor, and sprinkled with crunchy toasted, sliced almonds.
They're a delicious and healthy side dish that is naturally gluten-free and can also be made paleo and whole30 by simply using ghee instead of butter.
Or if you're looking for super fancy green beans, be sure to check out this keto green bean casserole with bacon!
And if you're looking for more sides I think you'll love this keto cornbread, roasted keto asparagus, sugar-free coleslaw, and keto dinner rolls recipe!
Or a side salad with this salad nicoise dressing (fresh herb vinaigrette) from Meaningful Eats and this broccoli cauliflower salad from Glenda Embree looks delicious too!
Frequently asked questions
Yes, green beans are keto! While they do have carbs, coming in at 6 net carbs per cup, they can easily fit into your macros on a low-carb diet.
Yes, you can skip the almonds if you prefer. However, I highly recommend the toasted almonds because they add loads of flavor and crunch!
Yes, you can, but I highly recommend fresh because the flavor and texture of the canned variety will not be nearly as good. If using canned, only heat until warm on the skillet in a little bit of oil since they are already cooked.
Here are the simple ingredients you will need:
- Fresh Green Beans - Please use fresh, frozen or canned will not work well in this recipe!
- Butter - Can use non-dairy or ghee if needed.
- Slivered Almonds - Optional, for added taste and crunch.
- Minced Garlic - Because garlic and green beans just go together!
- Lemon Juice - Brightens up the flavor.
- Sea Salt, Ground Pepper, And Onion Powder - Seasonings.
How to trim green beans
Trimming green beans is super easy! Here are the steps:
- Grab a handful of about 15 to 20 green beans and line them up lengthwise.
- Line up the ends against the edge of your knife (make sure they are all touching), then cut the ends off.
- Flip the beans the other way. Then, line up the ends against the edge of your knife and slice the ends off of the other side.
- Discard the ends and repeat with the remaining green beans.
Step 1: Cook the green beans.
Add the trimmed green beans to a large skillet along with ½ cup of water. Cover and cook over medium heat until they are nearly tender, around 7 to 9 minutes.
Remove the lid and continue to cook until the water evaporates, around 2 to 4 minutes.
Set the green beans aside and cover them with foil to keep them warm.
Step 2: Toast the almonds.
Turn the heat down to medium-low and add some butter. Once it's melted, add the almonds.
💭Tip: When toasting the almonds, be sure the heat is medium-low, otherwise, the almonds may burn!
Cook, stirring constantly until the almonds are beginning to brown, around 5 to 8 minutes. Don't worry, your patience will pay off! Be careful because they go from brown to burned really quickly!
As soon as they start to brown stir in 2 cloves of garlic. Cook for 15 to 30 seconds, or until fragrant, being careful not to let the garlic burn!
Step 3: Add the green beans back to the skillet and season.
Season with lemon juice, sea salt, ground black pepper, onion powder, and another tablespoon of butter.
Turn off the heat and cover until the butter melts, stirring occasionally. Serve hot.
Serve alongside these low-carb dinners for a complete meal:
Or this Instant Pot Broccoli would also make a great side!
- Store: Store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Reheat: Reheat in a hot skillet or the microwave until hot.
- Freeze: These can be frozen for 2-3 months, but freezing may affect the texture.
If you've tried these easy keto skillet green beans please let me know what you think in the comments below 👇
Craving more? FOLLOW ME on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, or E-Mail to find more delicious food!
Skillet Keto Green Bean Recipe
- 1 Pound Fresh Green Beans - trimmed
- 3 Tablespoons Butter - DIVIDED
- ⅓ Cup Slivered Almonds
- 2 Cloves Garlic - minced
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice - fresh is best
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Onion Powder
- Add the trimmed green beans to a large skillet along with ½ cup of water. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the green beans are nearly tender, around 7 to 9 minutes.
- Remove the lid and continue to cook until the water evaporates, around 2 to 4 minutes. Set the green beans aside and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and add 2 Tablespoons of butter. Once it's melted, add the almonds.
- Cook, stirring constantly until the almonds are beginning to brown, around 5 to 8 minutes. Don't worry, your patience will pay off!
- As soon as they start to brown stir in 2 cloves of garlic. Cook for around 30 seconds, or until fragrant, being careful not to let the garlic burn!
- Then, add the green beans back to the skillet along with the lemon juice, sea salt, ground black pepper, onion powder, and the remaining tablespoon of butter. Turn off the heat and cover until the butter is melted, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings. Serve hot.
Add Your Own Notes
- For paleo and/or whole30: Replace the butter with ghee.
- For dairy-free: Replace the butter with non-dairy butter.
- When toasting the almonds be sure the heat is medium-low, otherwise, the almonds may burn.
NET CARBS = Total Carbs - Fiber - Allulose - Xylitol
Nutritional information is approximate and may vary. Sugar alcohols, xylitol, and allulose are included in the total carbs and fiber.
Looking for more information on the keto diet? Check out my
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!