Keto Green Bean Casserole
I love green bean casserole but when we started eating real food I knew I had to re-create it using clean ingredients. I was amazed to find out just how much TASTIER the homemade, no-can version tastes. My husband even said he cried a little bit when he ate it (but don’t tell him I told you)! Let’s get started, here are the steps:
To Make First Or Ahead Of Time
You’ll start by making the cream of mushroom soup and french fried onions. Both of these can be made the day before and kept in the fridge if you’d like, however the french fried onion are crispier when made the same day.
For the Condensed Cream Of Mushroom Soup (click link for step-by-step instructions and pictures), simply cook an onion, mushrooms, and garlic on the stove until everything is tender. Then, add full-fat canned coconut milk, chicken broth, and some spices. To thicken, just place in a blender and blend until smooth – easy peasy!
The Keto or Paleo French Fried Onions are optional because I have a simple seasoned almond flour topping you can use instead, but in my opinion the fried onions take the casserole to the next level and add something special! There are 2 options for the fried onions:
1) Soak the onions in a homemade dairy free buttermilk mixture then batter with almond flour and tapioca then fry or
2) Coat the onions in eggs then batter with an almond flour/pork rind mixture and fry.
Both methods are equally tasty so just choose the option that works best for your dietary needs ?
The Green Beans
Now on to the fun part! You’ll need to cut about 8 cups of fresh green beans. If you’re not into cutting all those green beans, most supermarkets sell refrigerated fresh cut green beans in the produce section. I’ve used them before and they work fine, just pretty please don’t use frozen because they tend to taste waxy. No one wants a waxy green bean casserole now do they!?!
Once the green beans are ready, drop them into boiling water and cook for 4-8 minutes. I prefer mine on the tender side so I cook mine closer to 8 minutes, but many people like them crisp-tender. So just cook them to your desired tenderness and set aside ?.
In a large saucepan cook up some bacon until it’s almost crispy, then add an onion and garlic.
Assembling And Baking The Casserole
Stir in the cream of mushroom soup, green beans, and some pimentos then transfer to a baking dish.
For the topping mix together 1/2 cup of almond flour with garlic, onion, sea salt, and mustard powder then sprinkle on top.
Place the casserole in the oven at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Then, add the french fried onions (if using), crank the oven up to a broil, and broil an additional 5-10 minutes or until the topping is hot and golden. There ya’ have it – a perfect Whole30, Paleo, & Keto Green Bean Casserole! Enjoy… and try not to cry because it’s so good ?
Looking for more Paleo & Keto Recipes? Check these out!!!
TIP: This casserole dish can be made in advance. Just prepare the dish through step 9 then cover and leave in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
Paleo, Whole30, & Keto Green Bean Casserole
Any links on this site may be affilate links. If you purchase anything through them, your cost will remain the same, but I may make a small comission. Thank you for your support!
- 8 Cups Fresh Green Beans or 3 12oz bags of pre-cut green beans
- 1/2 Onion chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 4 pieces Bacon chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 recipe Cream Of Mushroom Soup recipe follows
- 4 oz. Pimentos chopped and drained
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice optional but adds a little tang
- Pepper to taste (roughly 1/4 - 1/2 tsp)
- Salt to taste (roughly 1 - 1 1/2 tsp.)
- French Fried Onions optional
Cream of Mushroom Soup:
- 2 Tbsp. Allowed Butter or Ghee or oil of choice
- 1 Medium Onion diced (to reduce carbs only use 1/2 onion)
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 3/4 Cup Full Fat Canned Coconut Milk well shaken
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
- 8 Oz. Mushrooms chopped
- 1/8 tsp Ground Thyme
- Salt to taste (roughly 1/2 tsp)
- Pepper to taste (roughly 1/4 tsp)
- 1/4 tsp Cayenner Pepper optional
- 1/2 Cup Blanched Almond Flour I think ground pork rinds would work really well but haven't tried it yet
- 1/2 - 1 tsp Onion Powder to taste
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Onion Powder
- Prepare the french fried onions (if using, see link) and the cream of mushroom soup (see the instructions below) and set aside. I prefer to make them both the day before, however the french fried onions are crispier when made the same day.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and lightly season with salt.
- If using fresh green beans, cut the ends off. Cut the green beans in half if desired, then drop them into the boiling water. Boil until they reach your desired tenderness, about 4 or 8 minutes, they will continue to cook in the oven but not much. Immediately drain the green beans and rinse in cold water to stop the cooking process. Return to pot and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Dice the onion and bacon.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat and add the bacon. Cook until the bacon is almost done and crispy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the onion and garlic. Continue cooking until the bacon is crispy and the onion is transparent, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the pimentos and cream of mushroom soup to the bacon/onion mixture. Stir to combine. Pour over green beans and stir gently to combine.
- Pour into casserole dish.
- Mix together the topping ingredients and sprinkle over the green beans.
- Place in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Crank oven to broil, then top with the french fried onions (if using) and cook until the top starts to brown, about 5-10 more minutes.
Cream of Mushroom Soup:
- Heat the butter or oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat.
- Once hot, add the onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Sautee until the mushrooms are soft and the onion is transluscent.
- Slowly add in the chicken broth and coconut milk. Then stir in the thyme, cayenne (if using), salt, and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Allow to bubble around a minute then remove from heat.
- Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth (or use an immersion blender). Be very careful because the soup is hot!!! If you prefer some texture, reserve some mushrooms and stir in after blending.
Nutritional information is approximate and may vary.
Pin Keto Green Bean Casserole For Later