As you can tell, I’m still trying out grain free noodle alternatives. A few weeks ago I made a lasagna with zucchini noodles and then last night I made a lasagna with tortilla noodles. While all of us really enjoyed the zucchini noodle version, hands down the tortilla noodles won.
I’m not kidding when I call this a real deal lasagna! The tortilla noodles along with my dairy free ricotta and parmesan cheese recipes make this lasagna really shine. Sometimes when you sub dairy free products for the real thing they tend to leave a weird aftertaste, but there is no detectable aftertaste in this dish. It is seriously delicious.
And please don’t be intimidated by the number of steps, it’s well worth it! You can even prepare the noodles, parmesan, and ricotta cheese the night before. The lasagna can also be fully assembled and frozen, unbaked.
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Grain Free Tortilla Recipe (see link above) OR 3 - 4 Large Zucchini or Squash
- 1½ Pound Hamburger Meat
- 1 Pound Breakfast Sausage (I use turkey sausage)
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- Two 14.5-Oz. Cans Diced Tomatoes
- Two 6-Oz. Cans Tomato Paste
- Ground Pepper
- 10-12 Basil Leaves
- ¼ C Parsley (preferably fresh but dried will work)
- 1 Recipe For Ricotta Cheese (16 oz., see link above)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Dairy Free Parmesan Cheese Recipe (see link above)
- Prepare the ricotta cheese according to directions and place in fridge to thicken (takes an hour or two at least).
- Prepare the tortillas as directed and set aside, swirling the pan to make them as thin as possible. OR Prepare the zucchini noodles: Slice the zucchini as thin as possible. Place on paper towel lined baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, and let them "sweat" in a 200 degree oven for 30 minutes. Ring out excess moisture with paper towels. Set aside.
- Prepare the parmesan cheese: Mix together 1 C almond flour, 1 tsp. salt (to taste), 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast, and ½ tsp. sesame seeds (optional) and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute the hamburger, sausage, and garlic until brown. Drain off excess fat.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, ½ tsp. salt, and fresh ground pepper. Stir together well and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- To chiffon the basil, stack the basil leaves on top of each other, roll them tightly, then cut across. If you're using fresh parsley, fine chop it also.
- Mix half of the herbs into the meat mixture.
- Place the other half of the herbs into a food processor (or bowl) along with 2 eggs, ½ of the parmesan cheese and the ricotta cheese. Pulse until well combined.
- Lets assemble the lasagna!
- Use a pizza cutter to cut the tortillas into strips. Layer ½ of the zucchini or tortilla noodles in the bottom of a large baking pan.
- Spoon half of the ricotta cheese mixture on top and evenly distribute. Then evenly spread half of the meat mixture on top of the ricotta being careful not to disrupt the bottom layers.
- Now repeat.... layer the remaining noodles, ricotta cheese, and meat. Sprinkle the remaining parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Cool 10 minutes before cutting.
Here’s the pict’s I took while making the lasagna